Do you experience monthly bloating, cramping, mood changes, insomnia, fatigue, and headaches? Pre-menstrual Syndrome (PMS) and the symptoms which go along with this condition effect many women. Some, about 2.5 to 5 percent, of these women report that their symptoms have a significantly negative impact on their lives to the point where work, relationships, or home life are jeopardized. Many of these women don’t seek medical help but result to self treatment. If you are one of these individuals, read further.
The cause of PMS is not fully understood. It is considered by some to be a result of many factors including biochemical and hormone changes, inflammation, and changes in neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, amongst others. The reality is that it is most likely a combination of multiple factors that are influenced by our overall health.
Conventional therapies for more severe forms of PMS include anti-depressants, oral contraceptives, drugs to reduce bloating, and sometimes, cognitive behavioral therapy.
Alternative therapies, as listed below, serve to reduce inflammatory signaling, promote anti-inflammatory signaling, and balance hormones and possibly neurotransmitters. It is a comprehensive approach that will not only alleviate symptoms associated with PMS but promote overall health.
- Reduce the intake of alcohol, caffeine, salt, sugar, refined carbohydrates, and dairy products. These can promote inflammatory signaling in the body.
- Increase the intake of fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, seeds fish, soy, and healthy oils such as fish, flax seed, and olive oils. These can promote anti-inflammatory signaling in the body.
- Begin a mild to moderate exercise program focusing on both aerobic activities and strength training. This should be based on each individual’s current level of fitness.
- Take a high quality multi vitamin/ multi mineral
- Consume a total of 1000-1200 mg of calcium per day. Including supplements and food.
- Consider a combination nutritional/ botanical product for PMS. Consult your naturopathic doctor for the most appropriate support.
Try these recommendations for 3 months. My suspicion is that you may find it very helpful. We love helping women at Core Wellness in Helena, MT. Check out how we help women here.